General Practice Assistants (GPAs) form part of a multi-disciplinary team within primary care and support the clinicians in the smooth running of the surgery by handling routine administration and some basic clinical duties enabling the clinician to focus on the patient. Ultimately the aim is to improve the patients access/experience in practice.
We are recruiting a number of new GP Assistants (GPA) so if you are looking for a new challenge with the opportunity to apply your existing knowledge and skills whilst also developing a new skillset, in a brand new role making a difference to patients then this could just the opportunity for you! Full training will be provided.
Our GPAs will provide administrative and clinical support to our GPs and ANPs, enabling them to make the best use of consultation time, as part of a multi-disciplinary, primary-care team, contributing to the smooth running of our GP Practices. General Practice assistants will operate under the supervision of GPs and at times other appropriately qualified clinicians. The assistant will undertake a training programme, if not already accredited
- Supporting with both the review & the recall system for Long Term Condition reviews
- Supporting clinicians with undertaking basic clinical activity prior to planned clinics such as history taking, conducting urinalysis, performing phlebotomy, taking blood pressure readings, checking a pulse & possibly doing ECGs. (Training will be provided for any clinical activity that is required)
- Creating & maintaining personalised & patient centred care plans
- Tackling Health inequalities, promoting patient engagement & health promotion
- Sorting, prioritising & signposting incoming clinical correspondence, extracting required information & applying medical codes to patient records
- Summarising patient records, extracting required information & applying medical codes to digitised notes
- Arranging appropriate referrals both internally or externally, signposting patients, arranging tests & follow up appointments
- Supporting clinicians with administrative tasks, input to the clinical computer system & assisting the clinician in a variety of clinics not limited to but inc: immunisation & vaccination, smear, wound, coils & implants, minor surgery, joint injections.
- Stocking of clinical rooms
- Complete basic (non-opinion) forms & core elements of some forms for the GP to approve & sign (such as insurance forms, mortgage, benefits agency forms etc.)
- Help the GP liaise with external agencies (such as arranging admissions so the GP can continue with their consultations)
As the biggest provider of GP services in the North West, we are proud to have 42+ surgeries all rated by the CQC as either Outstanding or Good.
SSP Health cares for over 155,000 patients. We pioneered federated practice almost 20 years ago, allowing us to innovate to both improve patient care and enhance the wellbeing of our GPs.
But it is not just us saying this, we have won many awards over the years, and recently won Clinical Improvement for Chronic Conditions GP Practice Award and were finalists at the HSJ Awards.
- Experience of working in a healthcare environment
- Experience of working with the general public
- GP Assistant Certificate qualification/willingness to undertake a GPA training course
- Experience using EMISWeb
- Experience with General Practice
- Experience of dealing with a range of clinical conditions
To view the full NHS application by click the button below, submit your CV using our form or contact Julie.Cheetham@nhs.net for more details.