Leigh Family Practice has been given a series of ‘Good’ ratings across the board by the health watchdog after an inspection.
The practice was rated ‘Good’ overall after a comprehensive review by independent inspectors from the Care Quality Commission (CQC), who visited its Henry Street base and its branch surgeries.
In a report, inspectors gave ‘Good’ ratings after looking at whether the practice’s services were safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led.
The CQC reported that:
• The practice had clear systems to manage risk so that safety incidents were less likely to happen. When incidents did happen, the practice learned from them and improved their processes.
• The practice routinely reviewed the effectiveness and appropriateness of the care it provided. It ensured that care and treatment was delivered according to evidence-based guidelines.
• Staff involved and treated patients with compassion, kindness, dignity and respect.
• Patients found the appointment system easy to use and reported that they were able to access care when they needed it.
• There was a strong focus on continuous learning and improvement at all levels of the organisation.
The report also suggested the practice explore ways to improve phone access for patients and a new telephone system is due to be installed soon.
SSP Health looks after almost 9,000 patients at Leigh Family Practice and at branch surgeries on Leigh’s Wigan Road and Richmond Drive, in Higher Folds. It runs 36 GP practices across the North West with two practices rated as “Outstanding” and the rest classed as “Good”.
SSP Health took over the running of Leigh Family Practice last August and initially faced a series of challenges with all GPs and management leaving before SSP took over.
Practice Manager Amanda Geary thanked staff for working hard during the transition process and was pleased the CQC has recognised the high level of care SSP Health is providing in Leigh.
She said: “We are grateful to new and existing staff for their hard work and dedication in improving the healthcare that patients are receiving at Leigh Family Practice. We are all really pleased the CQC has rated the quality of care we offer so highly.
“A series of improvements have been made since SSP Health took over Leigh Family Practice, including increasing the number of GP sessions at the Wigan Road branch and doubling them at the Higher Folds branch.
“We now also give same day access for all children aged under 12 with clinical need, offer telephone consultations, and have appointed cancer and care champions to improve patient outcomes and quality of life, as well as other new initiatives.
“The previous Patient Participation Group disbanded before SSP Health took over the practice but now we have helped in the formation of a new PPG, which is really positive about working with us and further improving care for all our patients.”